American Legion Auxiliary, San Dieguito Unit 416
Meeting Highlights – September 2017
Committee Reports and Activities
• President, Sondra Mote, reported that the VA Bingo event would be held on September 9th, and encouraged members to volunteer. Funding from the Poppy Fund was approved for providing lunches and goodie bags for approximately 40 veterans.
• 2nd Vice President, Nancy Kiesel, and friends, will be preparing a roast pork dinner for September, and a Lasagna dinner is planned for October. There will most likely be no dinners for November and December, due to scheduling conflicts.
• Former 1st Vice President, Linda Olsen, will invite this year’s Girls State candidates to speak at our October meeting.
• Sondra Mote also discussed updates to our By-Law, which will be posted on the website, pending approval.
• This year’s Golf Tournament will be held on Sunday, October 15th, at St. Mark Executive Golf course, and will benefit the Camp Pendleton YMCA, and Next Step Service Dogs. (For more details click on the flier on our homepage) The next meeting for the planning committee will be September 20th, at 5:00pm, at the Post. New volunteers are welcome!
• Our Auxiliary Unit will support the November Turkey Trot again this year, providing “Thanksgiving in a Basket “, comprised of traditional food items and gift cards, for four military families. The annual event is sponsored by Steven & Kristie Lebherz. Last year 3800 runners took part in the walk/run from the Encinitas sign to the Cardiff Kook, and back, raising enough money for 50 baskets. This year is expected to grow to possibly 5000 participants. Please consider volunteering for this event! More details to follow in October.
• Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 3rd, with refreshments at 6:30pm, followed immediately by the regular meeting at 7:00pm