04/12/17: General Membership Meeting
Call to order at 1900 (7:00pm).
1. The Second Vice, Bob Wilson chaired this meeting as our First Vice, George Barlow is on travel.
2. Last month’s minutes were accepted.
3. Welcome back Chris Yates, District 1st Vice Commander! Always glad to see fellow comrades from District and Department!
4. Membership: The following individuals were accepted as new members of Post 416:
a. Charles Bonfanti
b. Willard (Willy) Buhl
c. Paul Christman
d. Robert Dietrich
e. John Drdek
f. Bob Gilleskie
g. James Graziano
h. Jorge Hernandez
i. Kelly Lombardi
j. Charles Redlinger
k. Timothy Rose
l. George Sousa (Korean War & “Heartbreak Ridge” veteran!)
m. Joswa Stebbing
n. Eric Zamorno
5. Finance Report: Our Finance Officer, Brady Beauchamp, briefed the membership on account totals. Our new Bar Manager, Kimberly St. John is working out quite fine! Bar revenue is on the upswing!
6. Save Our Legion (SOL): Ralph Bettencourt updated the membership on our Living History Program where we have featured speakers that talk to the Post as an event. Next up is Admiral (Dr.) Mariano, who was the personal physician to two presidents! That event is Wednesday 6/21/17. Prior to that on Wednesday 5/31 aboard USS Midway is the Gold Star Families event & Suicide Prevention. Cost for that is $25 and starts at 6pm.
7. Volunteer Hours: Be sure and give your hours of Post contributions to Shirley Reeves.
8. U. S. Navy Submarine Birthday: Brady Beauchamp reminded everyone that April 11, 1900 marks the 117th birthday for the submarine service.
9. Memorial Day: Memorial Day Ceremony will be at the same location, May 29 @1030. Band and color guard are confirmed.
10. Media and Communication report:
a. June 22-24 Department of California convention in Riverside.
b. National Convention August 18-24 in Reno, NV.
c. American Legion Legacy Scholarships deadline is April 20. More information can be found at www.legion.org.
11. New BBQ: The BBQ was donated from Brea Post when they closed by Commander Steve Vargas. We are currently receiving estimates to improve condition and paint patriotically and deciding where to park it.
12. Post Officer Nominations: The following members have been duly nominated for the upcoming American Legion 2017 – 2018 year. The general membership will be voting next month in May. Others can be nominated between now and then, but you have to notify Bill Steinauer, our webmaster, to get your nominee posted.
a. Post Commander
i. George Barlow
ii. Alan Lerchbacker
iii. Peter-Rolf Ohnstad
b. 1st Vice Commander
i. Bob Wilson
c. 2nd Vice Commander
i. Brian Hall
ii. Matthew Schillingburg
d. Finance Officer
i. Brady Beauchamp
e. Executive Board; Two positions, each for a three year term
i. Willy Buhl
ii. Tracy Dalton
iii. Mary Jane Fisher
iv. Terry Kaltenbach
v. Steve Scholfield
Adjourn at 2000 (8:00pm).
Submitted: Jay O’Keefe, Adjutant