The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans.
THE FOUR PILLARS
I. Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation
· Access to VA Care
· Better Funding Formula
· Support for Veterans with Special Needs
· Career Opportunities
· A GI Bill for a New Century
· Employment and Business
· Heroes to Hometowns
· Final Respects
II. National Security
· Strong National Defense
· Military Quality of Life
· Homeland Security
· Foreign Relations
· Full Accounting of POW/MIAs
· Operation Comfort Warriors
· Flag Protection
· Illegal Immigration
· Voter Registration and Participation
· Boy Scouts
· The Pledge of Allegiance • Establishment-Clause Lawsuits
IV. Children & Youth
· Fighting Against Child Pornography
· Catastrophic Illness
· Intellectual Disabilities
· Family Integrity
· Media Violence
· Drug Abuse
· Child Sexual Exploitation
Building on the American Legion’s Mission Statement and the Four Pillars of the American Legion, My Intent will describe the desired end state of
what the Post wants to accomplish in 2018 -2019.
THE COMMANDER’S INTENT is a concise expression of the purpose of our Post operations and must be understood by all echelons, meaning American Legion Members Post 416, Son of the American Legion, Auxiliary Unit 416, and Riders of the American Legion. My Intent is to have a single unifying focus for the American Legion Family. “ONE FIGHT, ONE TEAM”
Its purpose is to focus “The Team” on the desired end state and what has to be accomplished in order to achieve success, and to discipline our efforts toward that end.
INCREASE POST REVENUE 100%
· Increase Sales and Lower Costs
· Increase Meeting Room Bookings by marketing on Social Media platforms and advertising.
· Identify Chairperson for our Major Events, Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Army v Navy Game and set up working committees for the major events. Set fixed budgets, increase community donations to defer costs and increase sponsorships.
· Identify all calendar items for both major and minor events for the entire calendar year and sync the calendars on All Social Media platforms. That would include, Monday Burger Nights, Taco Tuesdays, Wednesday Wings, breakfasts and dinners.
· Create “Special Events” i.e., “St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Kentucky Derby and identify a chairperson and committee for each event.
· Establish BINGO.
· Identify other revenues streams for the post, i.e.. Lottery Sales (like Post 820 and Post 460), ATM Machine (like Newport Beach), Advertisements on our Social Media platforms and advertisements from both local and Veteran owned businesses.
· Reestablish the “Living History Series”
KICKOFF A CAPITAL CAMPAIGN FOR OUR NEW BUILDING
· Establish a 501©3 Non-Profit Account
· Link the account to all our Social Media platforms to that our Post Facebook Page and Our Post Website in order to seamlessly take donations by a click of a button.
· Establish a “Go Fund Me” Video that links to our Social Media Platforms.
· Create a Media Buzz around the Capital Campaign.
· Solicit Major Corporations for both donations, both monetary and material donations, like the Gary Sinise Foundation does for the building of homes for disabled Veterans.
· Solicit “Naming Rights” for the new building.
· Establish “Brick” sales for the new building. I have already contacted a company that would create the bricks with the donor’s names on them.
· Establish a realistic Monetary Goal for the first year of this campaign.
BUILD ON THE FOUR PILLARS OF THE AMERICAN LEGION
· Support District 22 in achieving their goals for 2018 -2019.
· Support Our Post American Legion Family, ALR, Sons and Auxiliary.
· Continue to support American Legion Baseball, Boys State, American Legion Scholarship, “Stand Down”, Wreathes Across America, Honor Flight, and our holiday parties for our service members and their families.
I understand that these goals are very ambitious but I also understand that as a Team they are achievable and want to thank you all in advance as we set sail on this “Strike Group” to have the BEST year ever for our Legion Family.