American Legion Auxiliary, San Dieguito Unit 416
Meeting Highlights – November 2019
Committee Reports and Activities
President Sondra Mote opened the meeting with discussion on a number of topics:
• Volunteers are needed for decorating the Chula Vista Veterans lobby for Christmas. Please meet at the Post on November 30, 2019 at 9:00am.
• Fifteen gift cards at $15 each will be purchased from Poppy funds, and donated to the Chula Vista Veterans.
• We have been asked to delay the submission of our By Laws change to move our meeting night to Wednesday, pending National Headquarters revisions to membership eligibility.
• The Auxiliary Preamble has been revised to indicate “all wars” rather than “the great wars”.
• The annual Encinitas Holiday Parade will take place on Saturday, December 7th. Your participation and/or attendance is encouraged! Meet up time at the Post begins at 4:30pm.
• Volunteers from our Unit, including Karen Bonner, Vanessa Laterneau, Cherie Denevers, and Laurie, along with Unit 6 members Ann Marie, Dian, and Irene, assembled 120 Thanksgiving turkey baskets for local military families. Sondra and Steven Mote will distribute the baskets to Miramar, Camp Pendleton, the Fisher House, and the Support the Enlisted Project (STEP).
• Three military families will be provided with gifts from our Unit this year, at up to $400 per family. Volunteers will be needed, and a meeting date will be announced soon.
• Chaplain Connielou Caldwell will be sending a caring card to Nancy Gruba, who was recently involved in an automobile accident. We have no further information at this time.
• Membership chair, Roxene McGrory, reported that we have reached 65% of our membership goal for the upcoming year, and presented the names of five candidates for membership, all of whom were approved. Welcome, Ladies!
• President Sondra Mote reminds everyone that scholarships are available from both National Headquarters and the Department of California, for which our Junior members may eligible.
• Our annual Auxiliary Christmas Party will be held Sunday, December 15th, from 12:00 to 4:00pm at Post 416. Bring your favorite dish to share, and wrapped present (up to $20 value) for the mystery gift exchange.
• Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 – New Years Day, with refreshments at 6:30pm, followed immediately by the regular meeting at 7:00pm.