American Legion Auxiliary, San Dieguito Unit 416
Meeting Highlights – February 2018
• President Sondra Mote began the meeting by welcoming Annie Hull, of Next Step Service Dogs, who came to thank the Auxiliary in person for our donation of $2000, raised at our annual golf event. Annie described the training process for each service animal, which takes approximately four months, involving trainers, and volunteers, as well as the designated recipient. Service animals are trained to perform many tasks, including fetching items, opening doors, or acting as barriers in crowded rooms or entryways, for example, to assist the veteran. Annie was very pleased and grateful for our contribution and efforts.
Committee Reports and Activities
• President Sondra Mote announced a Mexican Dinner, to be prepared by Nancy Kiesel on February 10th, at a cost of $10.
• The Officer election process will be coming up soon. All Members are encouraged to step up and volunteer for positions of interest to them. You can learn more about each of the offices and associated responsibilities in the American Legion Auxiliary Unit Guide Book (Click to download the PDF.) Many of our long-standing members are unable to maintain their former levels of volunteer efforts in support of our veterans, so all members are urged to participate.
• 1st Vice President Shirley Reeves opened a discussion on the purchase of Backpacks in support of the Children & Youth program. It was noted that it would be a better project for summer, in preparation for the new school year in the fall.
• Chaplain Connielou Caldwell noted that Karen Bonner, of our unit, had been one of the nominees considered for Lady of the Year, for her great participation and volunteer efforts. Thank you, Karen!
• Girls State Chair, Linda Olsen, reported that each of the three high schools we have invited – San Dieguito Academy, La Costa Canyon, & Torrey Pines High Schools – will be sending candidates to interview on Saturday, February 17th. One student will be selected from each school, along with an alternative. Girls State will be celebrating it 75th Anniversary this year, and will take place from Jun 25th to the 30th.
• Members Karen Bonner, Barbara Gnazzo, and Karen Mackenzie have volunteered to conduct the semi-annual audit.
• Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 6th, with refreshments at 6:30pm, followed immediately by the regular meeting at 7:00pm.