American Legion Auxiliary, San Dieguito Unit 416
Meeting Highlights – June 2018
Committee Reports and Activities
• President Sondra Mote announced the new Commander of Post 416, Matt Shillingburg, and shared his “Letter of Intent” for all Post family members to review. (You can read it here .) Other news from the Post includes the resignation of Steve Lewandowski as the chairman of the Save Our Legion campaign. Steve Lebherz, Turkey Trot Chairman, would like to work with the Auxiliary on fund raisers, in support of American Legion goals.
Sondra also announced that the newly elected President of District 22 is Suzi Tozier, and that Unit 6 in San Diego was closing due to low membership and participation. Officer installation at our Post would take place on Saturday, June 9th.
• A birthday party for Shirley Reeves would be held on Tuesday, June 19th .
• 2nd Vice President Julie Glinski indicated that she was willing to be flexible in scheduling future Saturday Night Dinner dates, as requested by the Post.
• Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation chair, Shirley Reeves, reported that four bags of donations had been collected, and were delivered to Veterans Village for Stand Down.
• Membership chair, Roxene McGrory, reported that current membership stands at 93.
• In support of Children and Youth, Karen Mackenzie checked with Camp Pendleton YMCA and the Fisher House Center for programs we might support. A donation of $300 was approved for Summer Camp, for children between 18 months and 5 years of age, in support of three families.
• Nancy Gruba proposed that we consider inviting local author, Alexa Kingaard, as a guest speaker. Her debut novel Keep Forever, which was inspired by her late husband, tells the story of a family’s struggle with PTSD.
• Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 3rd, with refreshments at 6:30pm, followed immediately by the regular meeting at 7:00pm.
• Post 416 will be celebrating Independence Day, with a BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich lunch, and live music all afternoon on the 4th of July!
• NOTE – there will be no meeting in August!
• Keep up with all the latest Post events and activities at CALegionPost416.org.